Whats the weather doing in your patch?

• 479 Replies

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 22:01 PM »
Time to pack out the flip flops with silver paper Jill... Weather man says its getting cold over in your neck of the woods... :)

down to 3 degs by the weekend....

Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Jill

• Jill Dickin Schinas
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2007, 19:51 PM »
80 F (26 C) in the sunshine. Now that's what I call a sensible temperature. Mind you, it was only 60 (16 C) in the shade / in the cabin.
A glorious blue sky, which is normal, and scarcely a breath of wind - which is not.

(For more, see the birding board! Subject: Birds fishing in the marina.)

Simon

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2007, 18:05 PM »
I guess I spoke too soon, it's been lurking around + or - 2 degrees these last few days, so I'll upped sticks dow here to sunny Tarragona to attend to some 'work' :technodevil:, leaving the Missus cuddling up to the huskies - who are beginning to stire now that thier optimum operational temperatues, i.e from about -10 downwards, are beginnng to loom!

Furl the grunions to the marline spokes and down some grog for us landlubbers, Jill!

Simon

Offline spanishfreelander

• Badajoz
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2007, 18:24 PM »
This time last year we were running around in tee shirts.now the cold weather is hitting us hard here.
Due to the fact that we have been here over a year and aclimatised ourselves,ie...maybe blood a little thinner now?
Peple told us that once we had been through a spanish summer,we would feel the winter weather,and its not really winter yet!!!!
Or maybe we are just getting too old...lol
Dave

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2007, 19:01 PM »
Greetings All,
Never a dull moment on this 'ere great iberianatureforum:  :dancing:
Simon's 'stire' had me reaching for my trusty dictionary and working backwards through 'stook', 'stonk', 'stog', 'stob', 'stirk' and 'stipes' until I finally reached the conclusion (fairly obvious with hindsight, I know) that it was a blooper. He had me fooled there 'cos I was sure it was some technicality related to dogs and their winter coats. But it was not to be.
Which probably means that what Simon was reallly telling Jill with his
Furl the grunions to the marline spokes and down some grog for us landlubbers
was something like "Curl the onions with the marmite spoons and put some more logs on the fire." whatever that might mean.

Regs.,
Technopat
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 17:06 PM by Technopat »
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline John C

• Birding in Cadiz Province
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2007, 19:06 PM »
On my patch today the rain was heavy and the wind gale force.  I nipped outside to the car and returned soaked.  Unfortunately for parched SW Andalucia my patch today was Dungeness (UK) where I was leading a birdwatching for beginners walk for the RSPB.  It certainly made me appreciate the climate in Cadiz province.  I'll be happy to send you some of the rain - I know you don't need the wind - when can you let me know how to do so?  

John  

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2007, 19:18 PM »
PS.
Re. Jill's winter blue skies, Madrid is very proud of its blues skies (as seen in many of Goya's scenes - when he was feeling light-hearted) and must admit that they do make a difference in winter months, but they are a very light. almost pale, blue.

For real amazing-and-never-to-be-forgotten-blue skies, the ones that Dali depicts in many of his pics (which I always thought were a colour pigment of 'is imagination) are unique. Has anyone else been to Port Lligat? Don't know 'bout the winter months, as I've only ever been there late summer/early autumn, but magnificent.

Refraining-from-mentioning-other-latitudes-and-other-climes regs.,
Technopat

PPS. we had an edit issue there, John - my 'other latitudes' dig was not meant for you - s/he knows who it's for.
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2007, 19:21 PM »
Hi Every one
A Grunion is a small fish commonly known as silversides and also whitebait
Furl is to roll or wrap a sail around the mast or spar to which it is attached
MARLING-SPIKE. A tapered iron pin, fixed in a short wooden handle, bent towards the point. It is used to open the strands of a rope for splicing, and to strain tight the seizing of clues, &c. therefore marline spokes is the plural.
Downing grog for us landlubbers has something to do with drinking

So I assume he is doing something unpleasant to a small fish, while under the influence
I really must get out more
Regards
Dave
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 19:23 PM by Dave »

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2007, 19:23 PM »
Maybe you could email it John?...

I'll increase the attachment allowance so as to take into account torrential rain and general squalls...

:)

Blue skies here again and the wettest place in Spain is?

Tp Those opaque skies up in Dali land what all the artists rave about just seem to hurt my eyes and force the wearing of sun glasses... Down here In Grazalema with all the greenery the light seems to be less harsh?

haha Dave... another drunken sailor?

Clive
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 19:31 PM by Wildside »
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2007, 19:48 PM »
Greetings Clive and All,
Your
with all the greenery the light seems to be less harsh?
raises an interesting point - can't quite grasp it yet, but interesting nonetheless.

Not sure if I've mentioned it elsewhere, but re. rain in Spain, I have only been to Seville 5 or 6 times - always 'tween Nov and April and just passing through - and on each occasion the rain was so torrential that I couldn't see farther than 10 metres. Spaniards - apart from the locals - don't believe me. I have yet to see the place in clear daylight.

Regs.,
Technopat

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2007, 23:03 PM »
Hate to tell you guys, but I cannot remember the last wet day in the Els Ports - probably early November.  Blue skies and beautifully warm days, apart at times from the blasted wind and the chilly nights.

Yeah, one does get aclimatised and start feeling the cold just like the natives do, even though back home such temperatures would be considered warm.

:santa_smiley:

Offline Jill

• Jill Dickin Schinas
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2007, 23:44 PM »
I was in Port Lligat in December a few years back and, yes, the sky was a magnificent blue.
Mind you, it is here too. Maybe it's the proximity of the sea? Inland, and especially over the city, the air is bound to be filled with dust (and worse things).

Visibility to seaward has been unusually good lately, with the coast to the north visible for many miles. Very, very occasionally it is so clear that we can see Cabo de la Nao, beyond Alicante. That's probably almost 100 miles.

Is there anyway of attaching a map, or a series of maps, to the forum so that we can see where everybody is / see where it's raining? It might also be useful when people are writing about specific parks and other places.

Jill

P.S. Send me those grunions and onions, Simon, and i'll get at 'em with me marlin spike, and pickle 'em in grog, and furl 'em in tin foil - and you can eat 'em at the Summit.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2007, 11:51 AM »
Greetings Jill and All,
Let it not be said that Technopat likes to quibble for the sake of quibbling :technodevil: , but Re. your
That's probably almost 100 miles.
, I was more than intrigued as I have always been fascinated by this concept of horizon, but never remember to check it out, as it would necessarily involve rudimentary knowledge of geometry, at the very least. So off I went to wikipedia
, just to get an inkling of what we'd be discussing here and came across what I had more or less gathered and taken for granted all these years, i.e. if you sent one of the crew up to the top of the main-mast (100m), your horizon would extend to some 36-41 km (not miles), which could be further extended some 20% by the virtual radius. Not that Technopat is quoting wikipedia as gospel, I hasten to add. I'd much rather take your word for it, Jill. And if Caesar seconded it, all the better.

Not-quibblin'-for-once-just-genuine-interest-in-learning regs.,
Technopat
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 17:05 PM by Technopat »

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2007, 12:20 PM »
Very sunny on the coast, but the interior of north Catalunya is quite misty these days.  Couldn't see any of it yesterday from Collserola.  The clearest days here are in the winter, when mountains inland like Montserrat and Montseny seem to loom on the city's doorstep and you can even see the Pyrenees. In the summer they retreat, or just disappear, like yesterday. 

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2007, 16:17 PM »
Hi Everybody
A map showing our location might be possible in Google Earth, i will look into it and report back.
Regards
Dave

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2007, 17:02 PM »
Hi Everybody
Something like this
no addresses though as we have already had problems with spammers
Regards
Dave

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2007, 18:33 PM »
Greetings All,
Tried to download a Google map image of my other abode at Buckingham Palace to post here, but my whatchamallit crashed. Some sort of built-in security software or remarkable coincidence?
Paranoidregs.,
Technopat

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2007, 18:39 PM »
Hi TP and everyone
Just because you´re paranoid, doesn´t mean they are not out to get you (who said this)  :santa_undecided:
regards
Dave

Offline John C

• Birding in Cadiz Province
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2007, 19:42 PM »
Maybe you could email it John?...

I'll increase the attachment allowance so as to take into account torrential rain and general squalls...

:)    Clive

Thanks for increasing attachment allowance - I'd try to email some to you, but fear I might come over as a little drip if I did!

John