Iberianature Forum

Whats the weather doing in your patch?

• 479 Replies

Offline glennie

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2007, 20:32 PM »
Well, it ain't raining much. That's for sure.

Hope it snows a lot.

That way we'll get a big 'deshielo' and all the rich can fill up their swimming pools with a clear conscience.

(That will just leave them with the Volkswagen Tuareg to wrestle with. They're forming clubs to work out the defence for that little baby - with Rajoy's uncle as honorary president of course.)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 21:00 PM by glennie »

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2007, 21:07 PM »
some proof of moisture in the air today..
not in the sierras, but in the lowlands near Jerez as we were out investigating the Laguna Medina.. (John C country)

no, it did not rain but there was fog until midday!!
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2007, 22:19 PM »
In the summer they retreat, or just disappear, like yesterday. 

I like that Lucy  :santa_afro:
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline spanishfreelander

• Badajoz
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2007, 16:25 PM »
Hi all,
Little bit Foggy in Herrea this morning..lol
Dave

Simon

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2007, 18:00 PM »
Thrice the gumbril futtocks to the head shrouds!

Avast me hearties; ‘twas brilliferous morn’ and serendipticious grundulies trunc’d t’ogreferous canunjemaphims abaft the l’rd beam.

Ol’ blind Pew, t’was ‘ee as spoke t’us all on this ‘ere barkee, “Doomed, all ‘s doomed!” sez ‘ee. I ‘spoze it be troo . . .

But ever onwards! I was in North Norfolk the other week – not exactly Constable country I know but he would have been there had he known about it! I think it’s all to do with the reflection on the blue sea (and I know you’ll have something to say about that, Jill!) A little known fact is that Constable also painted at Brighton, another place notorious for blue skies - amongst other things!

It’s curious that you should mention Dali and Goya in the same post, Techno, as I find both of their skies flat and winter-ish. But I have a problem with Dali – I hate him! – and also note that the Goya ‘landscapes’ in the Prado are in fact studies for tapestry designs – next time you head south visit the Vianna palace in Cordoba and see the real thing, the effect is subtly, but strikingly different!

Meanwhile, if we want a fix of summer light effects, check out the ‘beach’ paintings of Joaquin Sorolla – Bliss on a Brush!

Regs

Simon

PS ‘Stire’ was indeed a blooper – but let’s have a definition now we have the word!

Offline Jill

• Jill Dickin Schinas
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2007, 20:32 PM »
Maths is a dark art, so far as I'm concerned T-Pat. Caesar, on the other hand, is pretty hot stuff - aiming to take A-Levels in Maths, Further maths and Physics - so i'll see what he has to say on the matter.

In the meantime, I offer these items for your consideration:

Distance of the horizon from the eye of an observer standing on our deck is about 4 miles... ish. (Ships inevitably appear from the top downwards, and sometimes all we ever see of a ship is its bridge sliding along above the horizon. It's rather fun, to actually be able to see the curvature so clearly demonstrated. I always think that "the edge" looks surprisingly near.)

Cabo de Nao is quite tall. The light seems to be 120 metres above sea level. Whether this means that it would be visible from 100 miles away I don't know (see above...). I do know ('cos I've seen it) that El Teide is easily visible above the horizon from 80 miles. But since El Teide is 12,000 ft (3,700m) this information is not of much relevance.

Suffice it to say that you have now sowed seeds of DOUBT in my mind. Next time the vis is sharp I will have a look at that distant grey cliff over the rim of my compass. I can't actually think of any cliffs between here and Alicante.... which is why I assumed that it was the Nao. There are cliffs between Alicante and Altea and places north of there, as I'm sure you know, but they are not major headlands as such. What I am seeing is distinct. The view doesn't fade away, it ends in a headland.

If you have the energy to work through the maths I'd be very interested in hearing the result, T-Pat. (Or anybody else, of course.) Caesar is trying to do something complicated to our website, so I daren't interrupt, at the moment, with this trivial pursuit...

Simon, Dali was a GENIUS ! And a genius with a wicked and wacky sense of humour. (His cottage at Lligat is a very ordinary affair - except that it has eggs perched on the roof.)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2007, 23:56 PM »
Hi Jill, Caesar and all,

Could it be the Sierra de Aitana you are seeing.. The peak is around 1500 metres... That whole sierra runs east to west and drops down into the sea north of Altea...

Looks like a nice place for hiking actually....

Off you go then... You can just hoist the wotsits... Float up to punto bombarda, tie up to the lighthouse and hitch a lift to the mountains....

Take photos from the top showing your empty anchoring bit down at la manga and start a new topic in the trip reports board...

:)
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Simon

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2007, 06:02 AM »
Hi Jill,

Good to know that someone else out there finds math a 'dark art'!

I'm not saying that Dalis wasn't a genius, it's just that my subjective reaction is that I hate him! I'm not really sure why but I find him and his work superficial and infantile, in contrast to most of the other surrealists such as Man Ray, Magritte, Miró.

I'd be happy to be convinced otherwise so fire away!

Simon

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2007, 15:55 PM »
Greetings All,
For a weather-related thread, there sure is a wide range of topics being brought up here!
Will surely forget to reply to the ones I most want to broach, but in the meantime:
Re. Glennie's
They're forming clubs to work out the defence for that little baby - with Rajoy's uncle as honorary president of course.
, the latest I heard (this Monday) was that the guy himself was furious about the whole thing and basically letting it be known right, left and centre that Rajoy was simply lying and that they had never had any conversation regarding climate change ... rumours and counter-rumours - obviously the guy has a reputation to maintain in the field of science, whereas politicians just bounce from lie to lie * and aren't particularily worried if they get caught out occasionally - in any other profession it would be considered an occupational hazard.

*this is Technopat's personal opinion and is not to be interpreted as the official iberianatureforum line.

Re. Simon's
It’s curious that you should mention Dali and Goya in the same post, Techno, as I find both of their skies flat and winter-ish. But I have a problem with Dali – I hate him! – and also note that the Goya ‘landscapes’ in the Prado are in fact studies for tapestry designs – next time you head south visit the Vianna palace in Cordoba and see the real thing, the effect is subtly, but strikingly different!

Meanwhile, if we want a fix of summer light effects, check out the ‘beach’ paintings of Joaquin Sorolla – Bliss on a Brush!

as usual there's too much in there to deal with in one sitting, but I agree that the Madrid skies are flat and winter-ish - even in summer. Not sure I agree 'bout the Dali skies, though. I had taken for granted that he'd just used any exaggerated colour willy-nilly until I saw that same colour at P. Lligat.
Re. your "I hate him!", I wouldn't go so far as to waste that much energy on him (I save that for my desprecio (En. anyone?) of politicians and journalists and captains of industry and ...), but the issue of separating the person from the artist is a never-ending dilemma ... Nor would I go as far as to call him a genius, Jill. The fact that he produced some amazing works of art doesn't confer on him "genius status" - it was his job, after all, and faltaría más (En. anyone?).
As for Sorolla, I can never work up that amount of passion - "Bliss on the Brush" - for his work. That said, I admire many, if not most, artists for their ability to plasmar (En. anyone?) stuff. Technopat would not wish for it to be thought that he is a total Philistine, as well as lacking in knowledge of insects, birds, orchids, etc.

Right, now that I've more or less got that lot off me chest, I can take a deep breath and dive into the "grunty" (word from my youth which still doesn't appear in my dictionary). Or, if you prefer, Tea break over, back on yer 'eads!

Re. Jill's (assuming it was Jill and not someone else logged in under her name)
Suffice it to say that you have now sowed seeds of DOUBT in my mind.
, that's the nicest thing anyone's said to me all day! Let it not be said that Technopat rests on 'is laurels :technodevil: (Sp. anyone?). Could it be that what you and Caesar are seeing at whatever distance, is a fata morgana or a mirage? Is there any way of telling, other than moving towards it? Mirages can, apparently, be photographed (have asked numerous "experts" 'bout this and opinion has been divided), so they are not mere optical illusions.

I'm-outta-here-before-I-get-started-on-yet-another-topic regs.,
Technopat
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 17:08 PM by Technopat »
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Jill

• Jill Dickin Schinas
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2007, 23:13 PM »
Love it!!! One of Dali's mirages, of course. In which case it must be Llligat we're seeing.

I have seen some amazing mirages - I've seen ships floating in the sky, and I've seen waterfalls on the horizon; I've even seen the sun set twice - but not in this part of the world. (Interesting point, though, because the ships and the second sunset were both things which were, in fact, OVER the horizon... so our cliffs could, conceivably, be over the horizon. But I don't think that they are.)

Vis today was very good, but not good enough to see said cliffs, so we'll just have to wait.
I'll leave it to Caesar to fiddle about and see what the Sierra de Aitana bears from here.

Jill (realio-trulio)

P.S. Some of the best things about Dali were his ridiculous moustache, his portrait of Gala (which you can only view down a telescope, and which turns out to be a dollar bill), and the things that he said: eg. "The only difference between me and the surrealists is that I am a surrealist."
Some of his paintings were pretty good too.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2007, 01:35 AM »
Greetings All,
While we're surrealistically using this weather thread for talkin' arty-farty like, would just like to add for the record that I do have a soft spot for Dali, but no way do I consider him a genius, in much the same way that I have a soft spot for the Stones (when "Satisfaction" comes up on the car radio, down go the windows, up goes the volume and Technopat is transported back some 30 years in time :santa_cool:) - but there is no way they can be considered, singly or collectively, geniuses  :dancing:

da-da, da-da-da ...

Regs.,
Technopat
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 17:08 PM by Technopat »
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2007, 10:48 AM »
Hi Everbody
Just to get this thread back on track, it is horrible here, thick fog since Monday, cold and drizzly, I have a resfriado and Maria shingles, am seriously thinking of starting my Migration, as soon as the fog lifts.
Regards
Dave

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2007, 10:52 AM »
Clear blue skies down in the "wet corner" of Spain hahahaha

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2007, 20:38 PM »
What ever you may think about the weather in your part of the Iberian peninsular it cannot be worse than the LOG.  Have just travelled back today from Folkestone to Luton Airport and it could not have been worse. - torrential rain and roadworks all the way. Nearly an hour over schedule getting to the airport.  Give me good old Spain any day.  Why do we see very little roadworks here but back in the LOG it must be 'Dig up Britain Week'. Oh how great it is to be back here, and we have to return again in just over 2 weeks (eeks) to Liverpool to spend Christmas with the family.
Incidentally TP, what is 'raining cats and dogs' in Spanish ?
Tony
 :speechless:

Offline Jill

• Jill Dickin Schinas
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2007, 18:51 PM »
Caesar says the equivalent expression is "esta lloviendo a mares", or "...cantaros" (ie. it's raining seas, or jugs/jugfuls). Not as expressive as the English version... and not so weirdly inexplicable.

Weather report from La Manga:
Still sunny here this morning, with high pressure and a very low sea level (the lowest we have ever seen here), but this afternoon we had a little bit of wind and the clouds have now rolled in. We've been expecting them , because the day before yesterday we had a bit of high cirrus (mares tails), and yesterday we had some rather lower, more dense wisps (altocumulus, but not as dense as a mackerel sky).
Fabulous stormy red sunset, with lenticular clouds in the distance (flung up by the mountains). It's looking all set to rain a wee bit, and blow quite a lot, sometime tomorrow.
And if not tomorrow then Sunday. It usually rains here on a Sunday, 'cos Sunday is market day. :santa_smiley:

It will be interesting to trace the progress of this cold front, across the IberiaNature domain. Those of you with TV and newspapers will know where the low is lying and where it is travelling... but this is my guess: -
Since Dave has fog and rain in Leon it would seem that the low is probably sitting over the infamous Bay (of Biscay).
And to judge by the look of that sky (aforementioned) to westward, I would guess that Clive and Sue have not had quite such a nice day today. There is probably a westerly wind revving its engines in the Straits, and working itself into a full gale fury. Those Tarifa windmills will be doing their stuff tomorrow, and it will be impossible for any yachts to beat out against the wind into the Atlantic.
Do those winds reach you in Grazalema, I wonder?
And does it blow a hooley inland, near Lorca, SueMac, or does the gale keep to the coast?

Presumably it is also raining in the Picos, Lisa?
I would guess that you chaps up there in Barcelona you will be less affected by this than by the Mistral - or will you get a south-westerly wind rushing along and over the Pyrenees?
As for Madrid - I wouldn't have a clue how this will affect you...

Keep posting the weather reports, please. As Tony says, whatever it's doing here it will be doing it worse over the motherland.

Jill
P.S. Dave, I hope your wife has taken the magic modern cure: some kind of anti-viral pill, whose name I forget, which has to be taken within the first three days. If not, those shingles will come back to haunt her in the future.  :santa_sad: Que os mejorais pronto!

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2007, 19:28 PM »
It always rains within 5 days after mares tails and always within 3 days after a mackerel sky... ! :)

Another blue sky here today with no wind at all....

We wake up every morning and scuttle to the door in the hope of seeing clouds and hearing the pitter patter of cats and dogs falling from the sky....

Alas tis still dry here in the wet part of Spain

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2007, 20:57 PM »
The glass slats in the bathroom were rattling today, as they do when the Mistral blows.  But it wasn’t very strong here –Simon probably felt it more if he’s still in Tarragona.  The sky became covered with high grey clouds, the sort that promise no rain whatsoever.  The afternoon was dark, except right at the end when the sky suddenly caught fire.

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2007, 21:11 PM »
High cloud all day here in Tortosa, but heavy low ones around the tops of the Els Ports which does not normally bode good, and indeed we have very strong winds from the North West tonight which sound as if they are trying to rip the roof off.  Batten down the hatches !!
 :santa_sad:

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2007, 21:32 PM »
Hi Tony,  It was announced that despite it being December there's a high risk of forest fire down your way, because of the wind and the bone dry forests. 

Offline Jill

• Jill Dickin Schinas
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2007, 23:19 PM »
Still and sunny in Grazalema. A northerly in Barcelona, and a south-westerly down here... Hmmm. It rather gives the lie to my weather guess!

I searched around and came up with this. I hope it uploads properly.

(Just in case it doesn't: there is a low over Oslo, and another out in the Atlantic - NOT in the Bay - at the latitude of Ireland. Looks like no wind at all in the Straits. And a mere suggestion of a possible bit of a Low in the gulf, to give the northerly in Barcelona.)