Iberianature Forum

Whats the weather doing in your patch?

• 479 Replies

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #420 on: February 26, 2010, 18:31 PM »
Greetings Petrea,

Great stats! Thanks for posting them.
Bad luck about the lightning damage - does anyone know if such stuff is covered by home insurance policies?

Back on topic, high winds forecast all over Spain this weekend - and what with heavy rains over the last few days (weeks?), resulting in wet feet soil, trees are especially likely to blow over 'cos there ain't nothing solid for their roots to hold on to.

Hold-on-to-yer-hollyhocks malvarosas regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Bob M

• Teflpedia
« Reply #421 on: February 27, 2010, 11:11 AM »
Yes, great graph.

And for this weekend, at least according to this link,:

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2010/02/25/paisvasco/1267098297.html

I should be expecting winds of up to 180 KPH.  But hey that's only 112 MPH in old money - so no worries.

Bob

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #422 on: February 27, 2010, 13:32 PM »
Greetings All,
Update from sunny Madrid:
Despite dire warnings for the population to stay indoors to avoid falling trees, hoardings and flowerpots, at 1:30pm local time there had been light scattered showers and the sun is now successfully breaking through the very light cloud cover over the city. The proverbial calm before the teacup?

Don't-get-carried-away-by-the-wind regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #423 on: February 27, 2010, 15:15 PM »
The town hall put up posters here warning of the red alert - a first!

Kids-inside-and-hatches-battened-regards!!!
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Bob M

• Teflpedia
« Reply #424 on: February 27, 2010, 18:42 PM »
We were warned to expect the end of the world starting at 3:00 pm.

But it's now 6:45 and it's been quite a nice day.

Bob

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #425 on: February 27, 2010, 19:59 PM »
Greetings All,
El parte meteorológico (En. anyone?): As dusk set in half an hour or so ago, blue skies and mild temps. in Madrid.

Darkness has now brought with it rattling shutters - but no more so than on a normally slightly windy day.

Hope a fair wind has been blowing for y'all in the rest of the Ib. Pen. - if nothing else, at least you'll have got all the stuff on the clothes line dry...

Far-from-gone-with-the-wind regs.,
Technopat

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #426 on: February 28, 2010, 09:39 AM »
Mornin' all,

So it's all blown over. :technodevil:
Madrid has woken up - some of it, anyway - to bright blue skies and high altitude patches of wispy cloud. Certainly doesn't look as if it going to be a staying-indoors day, whatever the weather folk portend will have us believe.

Hope no-one's garden pagoda has blown down.

Starting-to-think-along-conspiracy-theory-lines-to-keep-the-population-at-home-while-"they"-set-up-nuclear-power-plants-all-over-the-place regs.,
Technopat

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #427 on: February 28, 2010, 11:00 AM »
Hi All
Same here in León, yesterday,wet windy and miserable, today, bright sunshine, 9th floor terrace survived it all, sounds as if it was bad in the Costa Verde and Northern Portugal. Hopefully this winter will end soon. 8)
Regards
Dave

Offline Mel

• Four self catering houses in a remote and beautiful setting on the banks of the Rio Mondego.
« Reply #428 on: February 28, 2010, 11:25 AM »
Yes, I can confirm that we in central Portugal took a batterring yesterday with very high winds and driving rain.

We are right on the Rio Mondego which has been in full flood for several days and it was amazing yesterday to see trees being blown up the river against the current!

Much of the country stiill has no elecrticty today as falling trees brought down power lines. We lost a big oak tree that I estimate was at least 50 years old - very sad but at least that's next winter's firewood taken care of!

Fortunately, the solar array did not blow away and it is a very pleasant, sunny morning here, so we are alright Jack.

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #429 on: February 28, 2010, 18:29 PM »
Strangely yesterday on the "world is going to end day" we had 26C here in Lanjaron with light winds with beautiful blue sunny skys! Not complaining, glad it missed us and sorry for those that it hit!

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #430 on: February 28, 2010, 19:00 PM »
Greetings All,
As yet another bright sunny day* draws to a close - 2nd in a row - and we now have reports here from the northwest, west, south and central parts of the Peninsula, Perplexed in Madrid wonders what the weather was like in Cataland and Picos.

*Although I was only 4 metres from a storks' nest this afternoon and could see it and its occupants very clearly, the bright sun prevented the pics from coming out.

Technopat

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #431 on: February 28, 2010, 19:54 PM »
Some quite strong gusts last evening/night in the Picos but I hid under the duvet and morning dawned to a green valley, white mountains, blue sky and a raging river  :)
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #432 on: February 28, 2010, 22:19 PM »
All calm in Catalunya except for the Pyrenees, where they recorded some record-breaking gusts on the peaks.

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #433 on: March 01, 2010, 08:25 AM »
Beautiful nice blue skies this morning.
No sign of any storms or wind yet.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #434 on: March 02, 2010, 22:24 PM »
Fed up now... rain rain rain...... The reservoirs are full and now I own an information centre I feel guilty when visitors come in spouting rubbish about 320 days of sunshine.....

My house is just a fungus trying to get out.....

The cat is really bored and needs to go out before things get nasty...
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline glennie

« Reply #435 on: March 05, 2010, 23:11 PM »
Doctors report first cases of Madrileños with webbed feet.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #436 on: March 06, 2010, 13:36 PM »
Greetings All,

Water off a duck's back (Sp. anyone?) :dancing:

Bright-grey-skies-in-Madrid regs.,
Technopat

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #437 on: March 07, 2010, 20:08 PM »
rain
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #438 on: March 08, 2010, 09:06 AM »
Bright sunshine  :)

Offline Bob M

• Teflpedia
« Reply #439 on: March 08, 2010, 09:09 AM »
The weekend was fantastic though a tad cold. But today, for the first time this Winter, it's snowing.