Iberianature Forum

Hunters

• 32 Replies

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« on: November 28, 2007, 15:00 PM »
Hi all
Our ongoing battle with the hunters around here just might have taken an ugly turn today.  First war cabinet meeting to take place this afternoon.  Does anyone else live permanently on land with problems of any kind? It is hard working this one through without top grade Spanish speaking skills but we are on the case.
SueMac
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 15:50 PM »
SueMac, sorry to hear you are having problems but maybe you could be a bit more descriptive as to what is happening?

What are they hunting for might be a start. Is it bred in cinergetico or wild stock.. Are they trespassing, Could you get  your land a part of a repoblacion scheme?

Hunting in general is an incredibly important part of the management of any piece of land and in many cases an area is full of Wildlife because of the hunting... Sierra de Culebra, Sierra de demanda, Sierra de cazorla.. The list is endless...

I have my disagreements with the terrible attitudes of some hunters but certainly not all of them are bad...

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline nick

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
    • Iberianature
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 16:19 PM »
Clive That would be in broad terms my viewpoint too.
Nick
http://iberianature.com/barcelona/history-of-barcelona/spanish-civil-war-tour-in-barcelona/
Spanish Civil War Tours in Barcelona
http://www.iberianature.com/
A guide to the environment, climate, wildlife, & nature of Spain
The Amazon/Forum Bookshop - lend us a hand
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/shop/index.htm
And also now The Natural History of Britain
http://iberianature.com/brita

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 19:41 PM »
Greetings All,
Have noticed this broad, tolerant attitude of Nick's and Clive's regarding hunters before. The fact that not all hunters are bad is simply a matter of mindless stats. and it's the exception that proves the rule.

Chatting with my friendly, neighbourhood hunter/portero this morning, he told me this awful dry weather we've been having for much of the year is a disaster for the hunters, but great for the hunted (didn't get the chance to ask exactly why - one of those situations where it's difficult to get a word in edgeways (Sp. anyone?) and that the first phase of blazing away at anything that moves within a 100m (his actual words were "de aquí al coche verde ese") has given way to more selective potting). He also mentioned (again, but I think I forgot to report it here) that Lettie had recently been presented with a 16,000-peseta shotgun (euros, anyone?). Not by any means the most expensive model available, but not bad for a newcomer to the sportscience art of cinegética (En. anyone?)*.

SueMac, please let us know the outcome of your first war cabinet meeting. not much we can do on the Spanish-speaking front (unless we set up a webcam connection with the hunters/trespassers), but if you need to put anything in writing, I'm sure there's folks out here who can rally round and help.

Regs.,
Technopat

2.  f. Arte de la caza.

Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 19:46 PM »

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 21:38 PM »
No thank you - I  dont want to even try to explain how we and our neighbour are feeling bullied by a rich land owner near us.  I just asked the question.....    SueMac
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 21:44 PM »
And the question was? This ones harder than Tony's insect id question.....
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 21:51 PM by Wildside »

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 08:47 AM »
As I understand SueMac's quite straightforward question ( :santa_evil:) was, has anyone had any dealings with hunters on their land?
Having said that, please elaborate SueMac. They want to hunt on your land? Think they have rights and you don't?
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 10:14 AM »
Hi
I repeat,  I was asking if anyone on the  forum who lived permanently on their own land was having any problems with hunters?  Clearly people are not or they would have been able to answer yes or no.  So I now withdraw the question.
SueMac
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 21:23 PM by Wildside »
SueMac

Offline nick

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
    • Iberianature
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 14:38 PM »
Hi TP,

The fact that not all hunters are bad is simply a matter of mindless stats. and it's the exception that proves the rule.

Sitting on the fence surely rather than a question of "mindless stats".

BUt the point is to get away from the knee-jerk reaction that all hunting is bad... and at the very least among non-veggies an untenable arguement given the meat we all eat.

That doesn't mean for a second that I'm denying that a lot of hunters do a lot of harm.

Nick

Nick
http://iberianature.com/barcelona/history-of-barcelona/spanish-civil-war-tour-in-barcelona/
Spanish Civil War Tours in Barcelona
http://www.iberianature.com/
A guide to the environment, climate, wildlife, & nature of Spain
The Amazon/Forum Bookshop - lend us a hand
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/shop/index.htm
And also now The Natural History of Britain
http://iberianature.com/brita

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 21:13 PM »
Hi all Wishing you all well. As the moderator is able to withdraw anything that is not approved of I by him I suppose it is time for me to leave. Most people can find my email address. I hope he leaves this up.SueMac
SueMac

Offline spanishfreelander

• Badajoz
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 09:03 AM »
Am I the only one...
Wondering whats going on here?
Dave

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 15:31 PM »
Well, I hope SueMac has a change of heart. I would miss her posts and am sure I wouldn't be alone.
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Jill

• Jill Dickin Schinas
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 19:11 PM »
I gather that SueMac is having rather a hard time at the moment, through various causes (including the MS). I expect she will be rejoin us when she is feeling back on form.

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 19:56 PM »
hi Everbody
I would like to echo Lisa´s sentiments.
Regards
Dave

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 20:35 PM »
So would I.  Looking forward to having SueMac back on board.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 21:29 PM »
Greetings SueMac and All,
Being a fully-paid-up subscriber to that school of thought which has "Better late than never" as its leitmotiv, I would like to
echo Lisa´s sentiments
and those of the other iberianatureforumers wishing SueMac to return.*

*I took
I suppose it is time for me to leave
to mean log out, but now everyone's put me wind up ...

Regs.,
Technopat aka  :technodevil:  (technodevil has no santa cap)
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 23:00 PM »
Fingers crossed that she comes back soon.

I also belong to a Forum that is not moderated, and know which of the two that I prefer.  I hate all the rubbish and perverted messages that come up on the other Forum.

:clapping:

Offline Steve West

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 12:22 PM »
Personally I am pro-hunting but anti-most hunters that I know.
Pro - good hunting land is usually recognised as such and managed accordingly. Which should mean that there are abundant rabbits, partridges, etc. and that the land is not intensively farmed. The income to municipalities from hunting is far from negligible - with a few exceptions much more than rural tourism ever produces. SO in other words hunting can be a useful tool for conservation.

ANti-hunter - most hunters that I have met casually are testerone hyped ingnorant chulos (is that bad language?) who know or care nothing about the laws protecting all but a few bird species. Reason, comprehension and conservation are not words that feature in their vocabulary.

STeve
http://www.birdinginspain.com
Birds and Birding Tours in north-east Spain
www.birdinginspain.com

My latest book. Part travelogue, part memoir, part ornithology, Steve West’s engaging story of a young man seeking adventure and enlightenment in a foreign land
www.flyingoverthepyrenees.info

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 17:21 PM »
Hi Everyone
I´m sure this has been posted before, but Wilde had it right when talking of foxhunting, The unspeakable in pursuit of the inedible, of course inedible does not apply to the game shot here, but the attitude of the hunters is certainly unspeakable. But recalling my youth on a farm in the LOG, a group of invited guns, dealing with the rabbit or pigeon population was always a good idea, and most of the people involved, just ordinary pleasant people, whereas i suspect, the organized groups were a far more clubbish affair, as sung about in Ewan Mcolls The Manchester Rambler, the words of which are on this forum somewhere.
Regards
Dave