Iberianature Forum

The group names are boring...

• 50 Replies

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 18:52 PM »
PS.
For those of us privelidged priviledged priviliged to have been educated at secondary modern/comprehensive schools during Thatcher's term as secretary of state for education, may i I humbly suggest some kind of graphic symbol (similar to the current star, but possibly more iberianature-minded, as in bulls bears) to accompany the "rank", 'cos - speaking for meself, didn't get no Greek nor Latin done in my part of Sarf Lunnon, like.

Regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 22:13 PM »
I too like the Greek approach, and the noun to go with it - why not just shorten Iberianatureforummer to inf ?
So one could be a neo-inf and so on.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 00:02 AM »
Nick has been referring lately to something called "IbNat"... Quite frankly it makes me cringe... jejejeje

I think it's cos he's busy and is typing in slang...

So what about ibnat? :)

neo ibnat?

Ahaaaa... I see your plan Tony... "inf" are three letters in the same order in your name........ :)

Still need a noun...

Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 00:35 AM »
OK - so far we've got neo-nymphs and neo-gnats  :santa_lipsrsealed:

Or was that protonymphs and gigagnats?
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Simon

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 06:34 AM »
Gnymphs?

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 07:47 AM »
¡Me lo temía! (En. anyone?)

Simon

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 21:19 PM »
Anyone???

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2007, 21:29 PM »
Greetings Simon,
Es lo que me temía - just the two of us (good lyrics for a song if anyone wants 'em  :dancing:)
Regs.,
Technopat

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2007, 23:32 PM »
Ok so I have been migrating websites and generally getting confused by the complexity of something called PHP which if Caesar chimed in with an explanation now you would all know a lot more than I do (But don't ask him cos you will regret it)...

Any way whilst I have been doing stuff I see that not a lot of inspiration has occurred apart from the decision to use "the Greek approach" hmmmm

It occurs to me to use the noun "shroomy" if indeed it is a noun given that someone here at the "IbNat" (sounds like a bank) forum made it up... :)

So "Neo shroomy"? and upwards?

Please someone come up with something better than this........

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2007, 00:23 AM »
Greetings Clive and All,
Not much inspiration goin' on, but plenty of inspirtation.
Technopat did lodge an informal complaint way back regarding the 'Shroomy vs. 'Shroomey version of the noun but was, as usual, ignored  :santa_cry:

Dasn't oppose the totally unacceptable IbNat 'cos if I do, going on past form, y'all opt for it like a shot (Sp. anyone?).

Regs.
Technopat

Offline John C

• Birding in Cadiz Province
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2007, 19:02 PM »
Actually, I’ve never quite understood why “group names” are needed at all.   It strikes me as far too hierarchical and somewhat, well, bureaucratic.   

I’ll concede that it may be wise to indicate someone is a ‘newbie’ as they might be unaware of  the conventions of the group.  Similarly, it might be wise to know who’s a moderator of the group.  Beyond that I’m puzzled why we need six categories!  I’m not sure what I’m currently rated as and if I’ve scrabbled up the ratings from ‘newbie’ I haven’t a clue why! 

Still, if you must what about:-
Finger-nail 
Finger 
Thumb
Palm
Hand
Old hand

John

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2007, 19:17 PM »
Very good point John C,

The groups are important in many forums because each group has different permissions to do different things, Someone who has only posted once may not have the same options on their screen as someone who is an old hand and has submitted a lot of help and information to a forum. Kind of like being rewarded I suppose...

In some forums old hands may have access to free blogs or image galleries whilst others would aspire to have those things and would make more posts to get there. (Its all based on how many post you have made of course.) And moderators are there to make sure no cheating goes on..

Of course in our forum it is just for a bit of fun...... Maybe i should just delete all the groups and just have one group called "member" but I do think that is a bit boring.....

Below is the setup now... as you can see there are only 3 full shroomies as there are only three members who have made more than 900 posts....

NAME             STARS      MEMBERS      POSTS NEEDED

Newbie         *                121        0
Jr. Member       **               35              3
Full Member       ***                7              30
Sr. Member         ****       8            100
Hero Member      *****            3          500
Full Shroomy       ******      3            900

:)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 19:25 PM by Wildside »

Simon

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2007, 20:39 PM »
Hey Clive, give us all a break huh! I've just done my Christmas cards and have absolutely no inspirtation left! I mean, what is there to say to Great Aunt J in Wallasey?

Cheers

Simon

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2007, 20:43 PM »
:)

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2007, 22:06 PM »
I've been taxing my poorl old brain on this one and decided that if we were to have classical Greek that it should be combined with that other classic, Latin - so why not Faunus - one of the Roman gods of nature.  So therefore you have neo-Faunus etc.

:santa_azn:

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2007, 22:59 PM »
Greetings tonyninfas, John C, Simon, Clive 'n' All,
Can just see it:

Me: I'd just like to congratulate **** for having been given the become a Finger  :technodevil:

or

I hate to disagree with you and we all know we musn't bite the Hand that ...

One of the basic tenets or whatchamallits of adult education lifelong learning is that [we] adults are goal-oriented, i.e. we need to find a purpose for doing whatever it is we're doing  :santa_cheesy: . Not sure how that ties in with Maslow, but I dasn't ask Mrs Tp right now 'cos she's still looking at me in a funny way since I asked her 'bout The Dream ...

John C, all this has come to a head (Sp. anyone?) 'cos the Ps-that-B don't know what to do with non-conformists like Yours Truly who can't leave well alone and let sleeping dogs lie  :dancing: and are driven ever-forward by the need to push things to the limit ...

That said, until you've experienced it yerself, you'll not understand the feeling of fulfilment one gets on reaching the rank of Full 'Shroomy (reaching Hero Member status was def. a highlight in my career also). In a lifetime choc-a-bloc full of achievements both great and small, I can honestly say that few have given me as great a feeling of smugness satisfaction. But of course, success hasn't spoilt me ...

Reducing the number of groups might give the appearance of making things more "democratic"-like, but there is actually naught wrong with a bit of competitive spirit, if kept to a healthy pace and not indulged in as a means to itself  :dancing:

Or put in nature-related terms, separating the wheat from the chaff (Sp. anyone?) is part of this iberianatureforum's declared creed of natural selection  :sign:

I'm outta here before all this goes to my head ...

Regs.,
Technopat (Full 'Shroomy - but just you watch my smoke - or ecological equivalent)

PS:
Christmas cards? What Christmas cards? Oh dear, oh dear!

Offline Jill

• Jill Dickin Schinas
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2007, 23:11 PM »
I'm somewhat inclined to agree with John, but I also like T-Pat's idea, of symbols instead of names.

Newbie = Worm... No, sorry. Newbie = picture of an Iberian butterfly of some kind
Junior = some kind of small-sized typically Iberian bird... or perhaps a small mammal, such as an Iberian Hare
Next...  Hmmmmm......
Hero would be an Eagle of some kind. Not a vulture, because we have to recognise the anthropomorphic associationsl. (eg. Foxes are sly. Wolves are mean.)
Full Shroomy would be a boar. Oops...! No, it would have to be the Spanish bull, as T-P suggests.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2007, 23:51 PM »
Ok. Cant help it...

Whilst looking for some relevant info I chanced across the grey man part (the un-printed part cos it was deemed to be too radical) of the time machine....

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Grey_Man
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 23:55 PM by Wildside »

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2007, 01:35 AM »
Greetings Jill and All,
Sure I said boar not bear? It's true that living in Madrid does tend to give one that bearish feeling of, you know, just about bearing up under the strain ...
But it would be a bit of a boar if I could only aspire to becoming a bull in this 'ere chinashop iberianatureforum
G'night all,
Technopat

Simon

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2007, 07:16 AM »
Hi y'All

I like Jill's idea of using symbols based on nature. Bit usure about the hierachy of animals, though, as I'm not sure that we do see species as being ranked in such manner. Like TP I'm outta here as it gets me a thinkin'!

Meanwhile, OK. here goes with some more inspirtation: I don't know if anyone else has suggested this already, it seems too obvious. We are Ibernauts of various stripes and we operate in Iberspace.

Yoiks, tally Ho

Simon

PS. I quite like 'IbNat' even if it does sound more like a worrying top-secret scientific project in some dessert somewhere (how about Los Monegos - there really is something worrying gong o out there) Furthermore, if IbNat got into regular use it could give a model for the various factions (factia?) i.e. CatNat, BasNat, AndNat, MurNat, LeoNat, Portnat, CantabNat, and, of course, MadNat. But then if we had a MadNat someone would be wanting a BarNat. In that case there should be another 'barNat' - note the use of the 'miniscula' here - to which I volunteer myself as Founder Member, General Secretary and chief bottle-washer!

PPS. I can't remember fully Techno, but shouldn't it be 'Shroomie' ? Call me old-fashioned, butI think we give too much to the other side of the pond already!