Iberianature Forum

The group names are boring...

• 50 Replies

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2007, 08:30 AM »
Greetings Simon 'n' All,
Great Darwin, Simon! That's an awful lot of inspirtation for so early in the morning.
Just for the record, and for all the Newbies (and Guests) out there who have probably been losing much sleep over this and many other things going down at this 'ere great iberianatureforum, using the Advance Searching function brought up Simon's initial reference as 'Shroomey - as in 'Shroomey Squad -  way back in March 2007 on a thread which in the years to come will be looked on as a turning point in iberianatureforum's meteoric trajectory:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,110.msg1169.html#msg1169

barNat? Too reminiscent of barfly - barGnat. Nah! It'll never catch on! :dancing:

I'm-outta-here-before-this-hierarchy-of-animals-idea-gets-me-down regs.,

Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2010, 23:21 PM »
Greetings All,
'Nother update required 'ere.
Re. Lisa's
I've been thinking along the lines of Iberian endemic species
, and given the obvious fact that a great many of you lot are bird-of-prey fanciers, how 'bout something along the lines of relative soaring heights of birds of prey? One of the useful things I picked up from our last - brilliant - iberianatureforumsummit in Huesca was that quebantrahuesos (Lammergeiers) are easy to distinguish, even from a distance, from the crowd of circling bs of p 'cos they'll be the ones flying lowest.

So, depending on the exact definition of a bird of p., :noidea: maybe we could devise a ranking by which high-flying folks like me get to stand out as kings of the skies  :dancing:

Just-a-thought regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline Rosie

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2010, 19:07 PM »
Hello everyone

Just browsing and came across this thread.

Amoeba
Jellyfish
Gecko
Eagle
Dolphin
Human
Superior Being

A sort of ascension of complexity (I'm sure that will be arguable) that is not too cranially challenging for us lesser mortals. (I have observed that full shroomies are more complex beings.)
Actually, I quite liked being a newbie. It sounded all shiney but somehow friendly and caring. Junior member sounds a bit dismissive in comparison. Is that what TP means by aspiring to acheive something for reward - ie not being a junior anymore?

Rosie

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2010, 20:49 PM »
Greetings All,
Re. Rosie's proposal above - and as she points out herself, the arguabilitiness of the issue is mind-boggling - one particularly obvious flaw is that our Human friends should probably be at the lower end of the scale rather than at the top end. And speaking from my own personal viewpoint - that of having been a Full Shroomy since only-Darwin-knows-when*, the thought of being considered a mere Superior Being strikes me as being a bit of a let-down.

*Haven't checked the Mindless Stats, but I'd hazard a guess that, despite a notable reduction in my productivity over recent months,** there ain't no-one yet near enough to challenge my lead  :dancing:

**Coinciding with the increasingly higher scientific level of the posts appearing here - one knows one's limits...
Like Rosie, I too quite like the cosiness of the term Newbie - and of course Full Shroomy*** is pretty cool, too

***Simon, it's clear that the plural of Shroomy should be Shroomies, but ain't too sure that the singular should be Shroomie. Tommy - Tommie? Bobby - Bobbie? Billy - Billie?

One-does-aspire-to-more-or-less regs.,
TP
PS.
Has anyone noted down Simon's "inspirtation" for future iberianatureforumer use?

Simon

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2010, 17:45 PM »
Hi Guys and Gals, especially Rosie and, all in good time, Herr Doktor Technopat

Rosie, you're right maybe it is time we had a little change, might make some of us 'ere present, naming no names of course  :technodevil:, less prone to dwell on past glories (s. 'glory'), no matter how glorious they indeed were. And you're certainly right that 'Junior member' lacks substance and has shades of old school ties, even freemasonry perhaps.

Ditto Technopat's queries (s. 'query') about the place of our old friend Homo sapiens sapiens (a misnomer if ever there was one!) in your hierarchy (pl. hierarchies), which I take it you had already anticipated. But I take issue with you about us Full Shroomies  as being "more complex beings" - I think you're partly right, but maybe your hypothesis (pl. hypotheses) could be  expressed better; so could I suggest that Full Shroomies are 'beings with more complexes'  :angel:

Now, on to grapple with Master Technopat, the Ogre Oracle of Madrid, whose no doubt eagle eyes have already spotted what's coming with regards to his seemingly innocent comment, "Simon, it's clear that the plural of Shroomy should be Shroomies, but ain't too sure that the singular should be Shroomie. Tommy - Tommie? Bobby - Bobbie? Billy - Billie?" I like the "it's clear" - the phrase should, I think, be given in full at this juncture to illustrate Mr T's opinion of others, especially in the vexed subject of the English Language  >:D, thus, the full phrase should be inferred as follows:, "It's clear, even to the most meagre intellingence, that the blah, blah, blah . . ."

So, it's clear is it? I give you, after the briefest of consideration, the following list: kelpie, mealie, stovie,tie

Need I go further . . . Yes,  thanks to Rosie, who I hereby dubb, 'Rosie-the-not-quite-shroomie-but-definitely-a-bit-fungussish', who handed to Teeps, on a plate as big as a safata), 'Newbie'! - clear enough even for those of the most meagre intelligence!

Ha ha,

That's all I have time for today folks!

Regs

Simon

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2010, 00:55 AM »
Greetings All,
Such is the magnetism of our fractious learned friend from the Tarragona Fraction that I was on the verge of writing a semi-apologetic posting humbly acknowledging defeat and generally putting myself in the rather undignified position of underdog to his top dog.

It was the Rosie bit that threw me. I’m pretty sure that most people – including yours truly, if left to his own devices - would plump for the Rosie Lea version over the Rosy Lea option, but a nagging doubt led me to check it out in Partridge’s Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English - Google Books version - and there it was: the Wonderful Y as the main entry. :dancing:

Knowing now that I was onto a winner, it was pretty easy to throw off the oppressor’s yoke (yes, Simon, I know some fokes :-X out there would spell it yolk) and ride off suavely (Sp. anyone?) into Jesús' glorious - and conveniently posted - Autumn sunset, taking care not to step on any creepy-crawly (pl. creepy-crawlies) on the way.

I'll spare y'all the details, but suffice to say that I took a beeline through
Tommy (pl. Tommies), among other traditional English names/nouns/words, including Blighty, and breezed though the arty-farties and namby-pambies. I did actually stumble across goolie (pl. goolies) but I put it down to the poor light, and easily recovered my poise with me googly (pl. googlies):technodevil:

All in all a pleasant way to spend a freezing winter evening in Madrid eating chestnuts with the Technopatlets while Mrs Tp packs her suitcase for yet another of 'er trips to foreign shores and leaving yours truly and our hard-done-by Technopatlets free to go off and dine at our favourite restaurant one of these nights. Aprovechando que la Pisuegra pasa por Valladolid (En. anyone?), I did try to inveigle get another member of the Madrid Fraction to go out on the town with me, but he wouldn't have any of it :noidea: and fobbing me off with an appointment for an afternoon coffee day after tomorrow...

On-a-high-in-Madrid regs.,
Technopat

PS.
Just in case any of you newcomers newbies out there have never come across one of our little to-dos (to-does?) before and were wondering if we were going off-topic or how it all relates to nature, I'd like to point out my use of the following keywords:
Partridge, underdog, top dog, yoke, sunset, creepy-crawly, beeline, chestnut, winter, shores. I could, of course, added the great Spanish dishes I and mine will be enjoying, but that would be rubbing too much salt into Simon's already smarting whatchamallems. :biggrin:

P*S.
And just in case anyone's thinking of crying out Fowl Foul! and accusing me of taking Rosie's name in vain, let me put it on record that I graciously acknowledge her right to spell her name however she likes. That is not the issue here, whatever her iberianatureforumer status be, now or in the future. But I, for one, shall definitely watch your smoke - as will all the mozzies.

P*PS.
Mealie indeed!

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2010, 11:44 AM »
P*P*S.
Re. rubbing salt in Simon's already smarting whatchamallems, I forgot to mention that he's already overburdened by all those folks in his home town building all them castells in the sky, so we have to be kind to him...  :angel:

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2010, 12:56 PM »
P*P*PS.
Of course there's the Mealy Pinkgill (Entoloma prunuloides) and, going a bit further off-topic, the great Mousepee Pinkgill, Entoloma incanum :dancing:

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2010, 13:40 PM »
Greetings All,
Desperately trying to get back on topic, I seem to remember someone sometime mentioning using native Iberian Peninsula species -  Spanish name - in ascending order of endangeredness. I like it 'cos that way we'd probably get a cross-section of flora, fauna and fungi so no one of our many experts in different fields would feel they'd been left out.

Maybe some of us/y'all out there would like to submit draft proposals of a dozen-or-so names and we could "vote", pending an expert opinion from our Spanish iberianatureforumers, and/or their contacts, on the relative inclusion value of each.

Off the top of me 'ead, we'd have a beetle (Jesús will tell us the one), a frog or toad (Iñigo's the man here), the lince, the oso, the lobo?, and I'm sure that between 'em Lisa, Lucy, Tree and Sue will come up with a couple of orchids, butterflies and what-have-yes (as in ye. not yes).
Regs.,
Technopat

Offline Rosie

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2010, 21:17 PM »
Gosh.

Should I start using my Sunday name or from now on be known as Rose?

A rose by any other name......

Rosie/Rosey/Rosy/Rose

Cider with Rosie anyone? Well, Laurie Lee for one.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2010, 00:26 AM »
Greetings Rosie,
As I mentioned earlier, and while I can't vouch for Simon*, as far as I'm concerned you may continue to spell your name as you wish. Can't say fairer than that, can I? :angel:
As for the Laurie Lee and 'is Rosie gag, those two ies had also cropped up in my background research, but as they would have biased my findings somewhat, I was sort of obliged to obviate 'em.

*though I have it on pretty good authority that he's a pretty reasonable sort of chap when he wants to be. On the other hand, he's unlikely to reply for the next few days as he'll still be suffering from the celebrations following the Unesco gig
UNESCO: Human towers aka castells inscribed on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity  :clapping:

Another one I was forced to abandon along the way was the "Roses are red" gag, based on Sir Edmund Spenser's "The Faerie Queene" (1590) - in which we see that the guy was just as orthographically challenged as Simon

It was upon a Sommers shynie day,
When Titan faire his beames did display,
In a fresh fountaine, farre from all mens vew,
She bath'd her brest, the boyling heat t'allay;
She bath'd with roses red, and violets blew,
And all the sweetest flowres, that in the forrest grew.

Roses-are-red-and-violets-are-blue-and-I'll-leave-the-rest-up-to-you regs.,
Technopat
PS.
Variations on a theme: Wikipedia article on Spain's very own Rossy de Palma